FIA (originally called Fluid Innovation & Automation) was founded in 1987, in the Ideon Incubator (Lund), as a start-up specialising in the development of customised apparatus and instrument design.
Key milestones, events and products are presented below:
1990 – 1999
- Mobile liquid dispensing equipment was developed and became the main product during this period.
- In 1995, www.fia.se was registered.
- Manufacturing of robot modules for Astra’s (now AstraZeneca) robots for Turbuhaler analysis.
- Resale of Alitea’s laboratory products.
- Development of an instrument for the testing of drug release from chewing gum together with Pharmacia (Nicorette): a new masticatory apparatus was developed, followed by an apparatus for the content analysis of nicotine in chewing gum.
- In 1997 AB FIA Odarslövs Mölla was founded with four employees.
- Automated weighing of chemical salt dissolution and dilution recipes – BufPrep.
- 1999 AB FIA relocated from Östra Odarslövs Mölla (a mill, soon to be integrated in the Science Village of MAX-lab and ESS!) to the premises at Öresundsvägen in Lund.
2000 – 2009
- Automated foreign particle analysis of dry powder inhalers was developed.
- An automated labelling, filling and sealing system was developed for reagents and drugs.
- 2003 FIA relocated to Södra Sandby.
- Agreement with Erweka GmbH to distribute the Chewing Apparatus world-wide.
- Export of Chewing Apparatus to Canada, Denmark, England, Germany, India, Ireland, Korea, Japan, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Uruguay and the US.
- A pressure-controlled Chewing Apparatus with torque measurement was developed in collaboration with our customers.
- FIA and IH Konsult developed a tobacco cutter for chewing tobacco for Multivac and Swedish Match.
- FIA started the resell for G Diehm Glasbläserei GmbH, Gebr Rettberg GmbH and Bohlender GmbH.
2010 and Onwards
- Prototypverkstaden was founded, a machine shop in Lund at Medicon Village specialising in prototyping and manufacturing.
- Continued sales of Chewing Apparatus, glassware, dispensers and prototypes.
- Breathing Profile Generator built for Emmace, member of Medicon Valley Inhalation Consortium, capable of generating complex breathing profiles.
- Several fully automated tailor made systems for a major pharma company. The systems are used for screening as well as pharmacopoeial testing of dry powder inhalers within R&D and production quality control.